Waupun Police Department Vacant House Check Program
Going out of town for the weekend, the week, or month? Then see what the Waupun Police Department can do for you.
The Waupun Police shall make periodic checks of your residence while you are away from home and make notification to your emergency contact number should a problem be discovered.
Although this program will increase the visibility of police around your area our department cannot totally guarantee the safety of your residence or be responsible for any damage incurred as such.
The Waupun Police Department encourages you to follow the recommended safety guidelines listed below:
- Make your home look as lived-in as possible while you're away.
- Have your residence secured with a security system that makes notification to the proper emergency response agencies.
- Give a spare key to a friend or family member to watch over your property.
- Arrange to have your mail and newspapers either stopped or picked up daily.
- Have someone mow your yard, rake the leaves, television and lights at different times to hide the fact you are not home.
- Turn down the ringer on the telephone. An unanswered telephone is a dead give-away.
- Be sure you don't announce your absence on your answering machine message or post to social media sites (Facebook). This has been the cause of many burglaries.
- Leave your blinds like you normally would if you were home. Only close them all the way if that is what you would normally do.
- Be sure to close and lock the garage as well as any storage sheds, gates, etc.
- Take note of your valuables and how you left the house to ensure everything is the same when you return.
- Ask your neighbor to occasionally park in your driveway. If you are leaving a vehicle parked outside, have the neighbor move it periodically so it looks as though you are home.
If you fill out our house check form we will conduct periodic patrols of your residence as time permits. You have the option for officers to simply drive by your residence and check for suspicious activity or to have an officer check doors, window, sheds, etc...
If you have any questions feel free to email or call Officer Robert Williams #380 with the Waupun Police Department.
Officer Robert Williams #380
Click here to complete the House Check Request form.